Thursday 3 May 2012

Anger Management

I'm amazed at myself for coming up with this post.

Getting angry is never the solution to anything. That's what they say. I would like to believe that to a certain extent. Getting angry increases your blood pressure, fills you with an ugly, nasty burning sensation, and also stimulates all that pent up emotion to leak out in the form of angry tears. Why put yourself through such discomfort?

"Hothead!"
"What a grouch!"
"Chill!"
"Stop getting so worked up!"
"Whoa! That's some temper."
"You are always pissed at someone or the other. Haha."

I get this all the time. From friends. From family. Recently, a friend remarked that I have the silent rage syndrome. Wow, intriguing.

Screw you.

Anger was my loyal friend when I went through this dark phase last year. It didn't make things easier. But, somehow feeling angry towards those who had hurt me seemed to give me some temporary strength. It was a concoction of bitterness, anger, complaints, dissatisfaction and sadness. It caused my heart to burn no doubt, yet there was a short-lived solace. It helped me get through each day.

It gives others a chance to provoke me further, and poke fun at me. I have learnt to become immune to it. I have developed a thick skin against all those digs at my temperament.

I can't cry easily. I get angry easily.

That's how I am. Learn to deal with it.

The aftermath of anger is nasty. Most of the times I get engulfed by this deep cloud of regret for having overreacted to something or to someone. And at such times I wish my temper didn't make me so vulnerable to an onslaught of other painful emotions that were uncalled for.

So here I am, giving a shot at anger management.

4 comments:

  1. So I was thinking...do you think I could do a guest blog post on your page with a link back to mine and vise versa? I love your writing and think that would give us both more exposure. What do you think???

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way, it's weak to ignore any problems you may have, not to confront them. So I hope you realize how strong you are for standing up to your anger and tackling it head on. Good for you! Anger is a natural emotion and I will send you some positive energy as you embark on lessening its sting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Beth! :-D
    Your positive energy definitely did me some good.

    Really like the guest blogging idea. I have commented on your post as well! Check it out:-)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that a little anger is harmless and natural.
    When it threatens to consume a person and becomes uncontrollable, then you really need to worry...
    It's great to know that you're addressing the issue and have a plan to work on it...

    ReplyDelete