Thursday 12 April 2012

Keys to music


They say the world is not black and white. But the world in which piano keys are from, defies this tenet.
 
There is no dearth of keys in my house. We have keys for the main door, kitchen door, bedroom doors, bathroom doors, cupboards, suitcases, car, bike and cycle. Everything needs to be safe and secured. The key to that? Keys of course.

Oh yes, I forgot one thing - Computer keys, around which our lives revolve.

These are the keys in my house, that are close to my heart.

A vocalist's best friend, they love singing along with a good voice.They talk to each other. If you want to listen to their non-stop chatter, you should listen to Mozart's piano Sonata No. 11. Romance, melancholy, excitement, morbidity, wrath or delight - you name it and they will create the appropriate atmosphere to suit your mood. They love long fingers, they do. They never tire from producing melodies, each one defining a new character in their personality. Oh well, they have their families. Families known as Scales. These families cooperate with each other. They get together often to produce great melodies. They have their undertones and overtones. Moreover, they add an element of completion in any musical composition - the role of securing it. Hence, called Keys. How fitting is that?

My stick fingers click with a snicker
And, chuckling, they knuckle the keys;
Light footed, my steel feelers flicker
And pluck from these keys melodies.

My paper can caper; abandon
Is broadcast by dint of my din,
And no man or band has a hand in
The tones I turn on from within.

At times I'm a jumble of rumbles,
At others I'm light like the moon,
But never my numb plunker fumbles,
Misstrums me, or tries a new tune. 


- John Updike







3 comments:

  1. Fun post. I got a keyboard for Christmas. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and thoughtful post! The keys that are dear to you are my dearest keys as well! It's interesting, I've never considered just how many keys are in our lives all the time...thanks so much for stopping by my blog so I could find yours!!

    I'm a new follower too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano, but looks like things always fall in the way. :-(

    Love the poem you included.

    ReplyDelete